Proof of the "general university entrance qualification".
Pursuant to section 64(1) of the Universities Act 2002 - UG, the "general university entrance qualification" shall be evidenced by one of the following documents:
1.an Austrian secondary leaving certificate (including a certificate on the Berufsreifeprüfung) or an Austrian Reife- und Diplomprüfungszeugnis or a Reifeprüfungszeugnis nostrified in accordance with the provisions of school law
2.another Austrian certificate on the recognition of the right to study for a certain group of studies at a university, college of education or university of applied sciences;
3.a foreign secondary leaving certificate, since one of these Austrian certificates is equivalent to one of the other certificates on the basis of an international agreement or on the basis of the decision of the Rectorate in the individual case
4.a certificate of completion of at least three years of study at a recognised domestic or foreign post-secondary educational institution;
5.in the case of artistic studies, confirmation of the positively assessed entrance examination (Note: this is not relevant for admission to the Medical University of Vienna!)
6.an "IB Diploma" obtained in accordance with the regulations of the "International Baccalaureate Organisation";
7.a "European Baccalaureate Diploma" in accordance with Article 5(2) of the Agreement on the Statute of the European Schools, Federal Law Gazette III No. 173/2005
NOTE: a specialist baccalaureate / vocational baccalaureate completed in Switzerland or a specialist university entrance qualification / specialist university entrance qualification completed in Germany is generally not sufficient for proof of general university entrance qualifications.
Under certain circumstances, supplementary examination in Latin may be necessary.
Additional information on foreign certificates which are equivalent to an Austrian certificate on the basis of an international agreement or on the basis of the decision of the rectorate in individual cases (§ 64, paragraph 1, item 3 UG):
Between Austria and many other countries, the equivalence of matriculation certificates is determined by multilateral or bilateral agreements. Matriculation certificates issued in such countries constitute sufficient proof of general university entrance qualifications. For further information, see e.g. Information on university entrance qualifications
If the equivalence of foreign certificates is not given with regard to the contents and requirements of an Austrian school leaving certificate, the Rectorate shall prescribe the supplementary examinations which are necessary to establish equivalence with a domestic school leaving certificate and which must be taken before admission to regular studies.
The ANABIN database offers a decision guidance for an orientation as to whether supplementary examinations might become necessary. However, we ask for your understanding that the recommendations available in the ANABIN database cannot replace the concrete detailed examination in the context of admission to the Medical University of Vienna and that the result of the equivalence examination cannot be anticipated.
Further information on the recognition system in Austria can also be found on the websites of the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (BMBWF) and ENIC NARIC Austria.
Proof of the "special university entrance qualification".
Applicants with a nationality other than that of an EU or EEA member state and applicants who are not granted the same rights of access to the profession as Austrian nationals by virtue of an international treaty must prove that they have the so-called "special university entrance qualification" according to § 65 (2) Universitätsgesetz 2002 - UG (University Act 2002) in the context of admission to the Medical University of Vienna.
This means that you have to prove that you meet the study-specific admission requirements, including the right to direct admission to studies, which exist in the issuing state of the document proving the general university entrance qualification.
If the course of study intended in Austria is not established in the issuing state of the certificate, the study-specific admission requirements must be fulfilled with regard to a course of study established in the issuing state of the certificate which is most closely related to the course of study intended in Austria.
Proof of the special university entrance qualification pursuant to section 65(2) UG is therefore a confirmation from a state-recognised university in the issuing state of the respective school leaving certificate/degree that the applicant has the right to study the course of study chosen at the Medical University of Vienna at the university in the issuing state of the respective school leaving certificate/degree. It is not necessary to prove a concrete place of study, but the fulfilment of the respective admission requirements is required.
The proof of the special university entrance qualification must be included:
- The name of the state-recognised university which issues the proof of the special university entrance qualification in the country issuing the respective school leaving certificate/degree, including address and contact details;
- the exact specification of the relevant course of study;
- the name and date of birth of the applicant person (the applicant);
- the indication that all admission requirements are met in order to be allowed to study the course of study at the Medical University of Vienna at the recognised/accredited university in the country issuing the school leaving certificate/degree.
- The date of issue of the confirmation. The confirmation of the special university entrance qualification must be valid for the current semester or academic year for which admission has been applied.
Example case: This may concern, for example, Ukrainian citizens with German Abitur. In this case please note: The "special university entrance qualification" according to § 65 Abs. 2 UG is provided in Germany by presenting a confirmation from the Foundation for University Admission. The letter from the Foundation for University Admissions must contain a confirmation that for the current semester all admission requirements in Germany for the course of study you are pursuing at the Medical University of Vienna have been met.
Exceptions to the requirement of proof of special university entrance qualifications
If you have a nationality other than that of an EU or EEA state, you do not have to prove that you have a special university entrance qualification if you fall under the Ordinance on the admission of persons (PVO):
The Ordinance on Groups of Persons covers the following groups of persons:
- persons who enjoy privileges and immunities in Austria on the basis of treaties or legal provisions, as well as persons who are staying abroad on behalf of the Republic of Austria and enjoy privileges and immunities there on the basis of treaties or legal provisions, as well as their spouses or registered partners and their children;
Proof: legitimation card issued by the Austrian Foreign Ministry; and, if applicable, marriage certificate / certificate of registered partnership, birth certificate
- foreign journalists accredited in Austria and working here full-time, as well as their spouses or registered partners and their children;
Proof: Accreditation certificate; and, if applicable, marriage certificate/certificate of registered partnership, birth certificate
- persons who either themselves have had their main residence in Austria for at least five consecutive years immediately prior to their first application for admission to a course of study at a teacher training college or a university or a university of applied sciences in Austria or who have at least one legal breadwinner or legal guardian with whom or to whom this is the case
Proof: registration certificate; if required for proof of the obligation to pay maintenance: if applicable, birth or marriage certificate.
- persons who receive a scholarship for the intended course of study either on the basis of provisions of an international treaty or in the same amount from the funds of an Austrian territorial authority which, according to the financial regulations of this territorial authority, are expressly to be used for scholarships;
Proof: Confirmation of the award of the scholarship
- holders of secondary leaving certificates or Reife- und Diplomprüfungszeugnisse from Austrian schools abroad or holders of state final examinations from German- or Ladin-speaking South Tyrolean secondary schools of second degree, unless this is not connected with direct access to higher education in Italy anyway;
Proof: respective school leaving certificate
- persons who are entitled to stay in the Federal territory on the basis of §§ 3, 8, 13 or 75 (5) and (6) of the Asylum Act 2005, Federal Law Gazette I No. 100/2005, as amended by Federal Law Gazette I No. 145/2017, or on the basis of previous asylum legislation.
Proof: Asylum notification and asylum card; or convention passport; in all cases a confirmation of registration