(Vienna/Graz/Innsbruck/Linz, 05 July 2019) By the end of March 2019, a total of 16,443 applicants had registered for the MedAT joint entrance exam to gain a place at the medical universities of Vienna, Innsbruck and Graz and the Medical Faculty of the Johannes Kepler University (JKU) in Linz. Today (Friday) 12,960 of them sat the exam – that is to say 78.8 % of applicants. The results of the exam will be announced in August.
Details of registrations and actual candidate numbers:
- At MedUni Vienna, 8,217 people registered for the entrance exam and 6,490 candidates actually sat it on Friday.
- At the Medical University of Innsbruck, a total of 3,826 applicants registered, of whom 2,927 turned up for today's exam.
- At the Medical University of Graz, 3,084 registrations were received and 2,487 people attended to sit today’s MedAT.
- In Linz (Medical Faculty of JKU Linz), 1,316 people had registered, 1,056 of whom actually sat the exam.
About the admissions procedure
The entrance exam for human medicine (Med-AT-H) is a multi-part written exam comprising the following elements:
- Basic knowledge test for medical studies: checking existing knowledge from school in the areas of biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics
- Text comprehension: checking reading ability and understanding of texts
- Cognitive skills and abilities: this part of the test consists of five groups of exercises (assembling figures, numerical sequences, language proficiency, memory and retentiveness and recognising implications) and covers basic cognitive skills and abilities.
- Social and emotional skills: this part of the exam consists of a group of exercises on Reading Emotions and Social Decision-Making, covering important aspects of social and emotional skills.
The entrance exam for dentistry (MedAT-Z) is largely identical to MedAT-H except that, in place of the Text Comprehension section and the group of exercises on Recognising Implications, manual skills are tested by exercises involving wire-bending and reproducing shapes.
A total of 1,680 university places available
There are a total of 1,680 university places available for human medicine and dentistry for the 2019/20 academic year, 740 of these at MedUni Vienna, 400 at the Medical University of Innsbruck, 360 at MedUni Graz and 180 at the Medical Faculty of JKU Linz. At least 95% of the university places are reserved for EU citizens and those with equivalent rights of access to education and at least 75% of places for applicants with an Austrian school leaving certificate. As from the 2019/20 academic year, this quota system will only apply to the allocation of university places in human medicine but not to dentistry.